Friday, October 5, 2012

Health Fair

So the other day, we were having a health and wellness fair at work. There were nurses there from a local hospital there taking people's blood pressure. My BP had been borderline for a while. I'm overweight, easily excitable, and hypertension runs in my family so it was only a matter of time for the dial to flip to the red unless I started making serious changes.

I let the RN take my BP and she had this look on her face, and I knew it was bad. She took it again, then again, then finally said, "It's 150/100." Sheesh. She told me I needed to see my doctor right away, I was too young to have such high BP, etc. Womp womp.

I saw my doctor yesterday and was unhappy to learn that my weight was at an all time high of 270. I know that the whole BMI thing is kind of stupid because it only takes height and weight into account instead of body frame, volume, bone density, etc., but it still wigged me out to hear her say I was off of the BMI chart, where people who have bariatric surgery are. Screw that.

I'm sure that my new fluffy weight has a lot to do with the prednisone my ENT prescribed me about six weeks ago to reduce inflammation in my sinuses enough to avoid surgery. I'm tapering now and should be done with it by Wednesday of next week.

I agreed to be temporarily placed on BP medication. My goal is to be on it for no more than a year. That is more than enough time for me to get my shit together. I'm getting a full blood panel done mid month in November, where they'll look at my kidney function, cholesterol, and blood sugar.

And now I present you with me today:




Pants are a snug size 20, shirt is a very snug XL. Weight at 270. I'll continue to update on any clothing size changes, but not necessarily weight. That is going to be difficult, so I'm putting my scale in the garage so I'm not tempted. I'd rather eat glass than go in the garage because it's full of spider webs, a spooky dollhouse, and broken dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment